Win 10 - 1903 - Network is connected but I can't see how?

K

Krebsy

Ok, bit of an odd one here. (well odd to me anyway...)

I'm using a win10 machine thats just had the upgrade to the 1903 release (to fix that annoying slow right-click menu issue) and I decided to try setting up a pi-hole local dns filter/blocker on my lan.

So, checking on the router I wanted to get a list of all the wired and wireless devices and mac addresses etc. so I could go through the configs and when checking I could not see an entry for my pc as a connected device.

It's going through a managed switch then to the router for DHCP etc so decided to check on the PC to see what all the settings were.

Checking my network settings I could see that the Ethernet connection was listed (alongside disabled VPN connections and the Hyper-V shared virtual switch) but when drilling down, there was no settings enabled for IPv4 or 6. I wanted to go in and amend the DNS entry to point to the pi-hole but there was no entry to edit for the PC.

I checked under ipconfig /all and it listed just the Hyper-V switch but no entry for the Ethernet connection.

So, how is my pc connecting to the internet if both the PC and the Router don't show any kind of connection in place? is the network connecting via the virtual Hyper-V switch? Under control panel the ethernet connection (Killer E2200 onboard 1Gbps LAN port on the MSI motherboard) is listed as active but does not appear to be using any protocols..... No yellow triangles on the toolbar, network connection listed and states Internet access is available (which is seemingly true).

I had set up reserved IP addressing on the Router for some devices including this PC but it is not visible on the Router as a connected device which is mad. Surely the mac address should appear along with the ip address assigned under the log for all wifi and wired devices on the router (Virgin media Superhub V3)?

The D-link managed 8 port switch is set up as an invisible device to manage internal traffic (too many devices, not enough router ports :) ) and the PC has top priority on it's lan port as I want the PC to have full speed (220mbps) access to and from the internet.

What am I missing here?

I'm going to pull the mac address off the card, ensure it's set up on the router with a dedicated IP address and then enable ipv4, ipv6 and set up static addressing on the PC as a test.

tl;dr - windows 10 is not connected it seems to the internet but still works :).

Ta,

Stu.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom