Transferring files to NAS virtually halts with Windows Defender Real Time Protection turned on

M

m00li3

Recently I started experiencing issues with transferring files from my Windows 10 laptop (Win version 1903) to a Synology NAS. On a regular basis, I need to transfer around 1 GB to the NAS. When I try to do that now, the transfer speed will go down to zero after 2 seconds and after that transfer speed will go up again occasionally only to go back to zero again. It now takes me around 15 minutes to transfer 1 GB on a 1Gb ethernet connection, instead of the usual 10 seconds. When I download the same files again to my laptop there are no problems, so it's only uploading that is slow.

After some experimenting with SMB settings (to no avail) and other clients (a mac client had no issues) I could narrow the issue down to the Real Time Protection of Windows Defender. When I turned this off, uploading files to the NAS were back to normal.

I find it strange that only uploading is affected by Windows Defender (If any, I would assume Windows Defender would slow down downloads for scanning purposes), and I know you can exclude the network destination from being scanned by Windows Defender. But I don't see a valid reason why I would need to exclude the network destination to successfully transfer some files from my laptop to that destination.

I guess this is more a bug report than a question, but I cannot find a proper place to report a Windows Defender bug.

Cheers,

Ronald

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom