File sharing from Windows 10 freezes access once and only once per file.

M

Marcus(SWE)

Problem:

Every time I access a file from my Windows 10 share on my Nvidia Shield TV it interrupts the access to the file and forces a restart of the file. When I use Kodi the screen goes black for about two minutes before I can start again. Everything is 100% responsive in Windows 10 at this time and I can browse my shares no problem on the computer itself.

This usually happens within the first few minutes, but can take up to around 30 minutes very rarely. It happens on every single file, movie, music etc. It also only happens once. If it has happened I can run that same file for hours and hours no issue. But if I restart the system it will happen again on the same file. So once and only once per file and guaranteed to happen if system has been restarted.

Solution:

I have only found one solution and it's not really a solution. Since I never had this issue years ago I tried an older Windows version by testing Windows LTSB. Not a single freeze there ever. But since I can't buy that version and I want to run newest Windows 10 that is not a solution for me. The other option is to run a NAS then it works perfectly aswell. Or just share directly from my router.

Tested:

What have I tested? Well just about everything. The likely issue seemed to be the discontinuation of Smbv1 and a compatibility issue with Shield TV. But since Shield TV added Smbv3 support it still doesn't work. I also tried activating Smbv1 on Windows 10 without it helping either. Else I have tested just about every single guide regarding Windows 10 file sharing. From simple things like disabling IPV6 to changing permissions, offline files settings and a ton of other things. Followed every step in a very long advanced guide I found aswell. I tried changing to another router too. I have done several clean Windows 10 installations together with Shield TV factory resets. Several Shield TV updates has been released during this period aswell.

I have also tested several versions of Kodi and SPMC. Nothing matters. I tried forcing Smb versions aswell. I have used the log function in both Windows 10 and Kodi. Kodi just logs an interrupt to access and Windows 10 log shows nothing.

I even tried installing an NFS server. And despite skipping Smb the exact same freeze happens.

The problem seems to be 100% caused by Windows 10. And only on the newer versions. Either from 17xx and onwards or 18xx and onwards. Something in newer Windows 10 locks file access and I wanna know what. I tried with Firewall and security off aswell.

Like I said I have had this problem for years now. There are some workarounds, but I really want this to work. Also having tried everything except changing processor and motherboard in my computer I really want to find the solution to this.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom