Windows Media Center Electronic Program Guide Alternatives

• Thread starter sumsolstice95014
  • Start date
S

sumsolstice95014

I've recently received a popup on my Windows Media Center home screen stating that the Electronic Program Guide will not be available after January 2020. I've long expected this day. The popup gives you a click option for alternatives to the EPG, but the link it takes you to is a nothing link for generic guide troubleshooting (I got the same popup on my Windows Media Center Extender. Clicking on it rebooted the extender).

Are any 3rd party EPG alternatives even in the works? I am trying to figure what my next DVR setup will be and need to get on it. Am thinking of getting an Amazon Recast box, but kind of want to see if they have a second generation (with larger HDDs) in the works. Thinking about SiliconDust's HDHomeRun stuff, or perhaps rolling my own with Plex or something. Again, having an EPG is paramount.

For what it's worth - I've bought into WMC since the beginning - I was the lead factory escalation engineer for a vendor's line of Media Center products - it will be like saying goodbye to an old friend, and even though it was pretty much abandoned in place for the past ten plus years, there was someone there to make sure it still was working. Just a thank you to the Windows Home team...

-Dale

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom