Microsoft Policy change to "Update" for mapping network drives, when previously it was "Replace"

D

Daybreak0

All - I was experiencing problems with blank pages in my PDF's when viewing them in my software Nuance Power PDF and also Nitro Pro PDF, and when searching I found that the same problem was occurring in Acrobat PDF software.

Someone on Acrobats forums who were having problems with other tax software which had started crashing had spent hours and hours trying to fix the problem reported this -

"Group Policy was previously using "Replace" to map network drives. Apparently Microsoft changed the way that Replace behaves via Group Policy on Win 8, Win 10, and Server 2012 machines and now says to use "Update" to map the drives."

When they changed group policy to make it "Replace" instead of "Update" they no longer had problems with their Tax software crashing.

Subsequently they no longer had problems with blank pages in their PDF either.

However I believe this problem goes way further than just the above.

I use a NAS for all my files, with mapped drives to different folders on my NAS. Quite often -

* I lose the mappings with an image of a cross coming up over the drives. however all I have to do is click on them to restore them.

* I am the only one that ever uses my files, but I can open one up, make changes and when I go to save it tells me someone else is using the file (normally when in compatibility mode).

* my PC slows down when using my NAS especially with PDF files, where they like freeze for a minute or longer.

Now possibly it is something else, but I don't believe so.

So my question is, as the Acrobats forum solution did not include any instructions on how to change group policy, how do I change group policy to Replace when mapping network drives. I really need a step by step.

I am running Windows 10 (not pro or anything) on a 64 bit machine

Thank you.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom