How do I permanently stop windows updates from downloading and automatically installing?

T

Th3Ch40t1c

Is there some way to stop the automatic download and install of windows updates? I'm using my laptop mainly for gaming, but every second day there's a fking windows update consuming 99% of my internet connection for hours trying to download some update - great, i'm in a competitive game and now i have a ping of 500ms.

"This update increases security and blah blah blah adds new features" - First off all, i don't care a single bit about the so called "security" they deliver. The Windows Defender Antivirus never did a single thing but slow down my computer all the time and never find anything. I also don't need those new features that don't do anything for me except slowing the computer down.

Now, it downloaded the update. Great. Now i can finally play - oh no wait, now the system is using 100% disk for some reason even though the update already downloaded and is NOT UPDATING at that moment. Not running any other programs that could cause it either. Great. Now I can't even start up the game (which already crashed by the way).

Aight, let's go and click on that "update" button to see if this fixes the issue.

OH. GREAT. I left it for 2 hours and it's still at 13% (where it was when i left it). Now the windows update is stuck and all i can do is force shut down the laptop and cancel the update, then having to wait 30 minutes for windows to undo the changes. Great experience windows, congrats! You just ruined another user's day! AMAZING!

Now, I tried disabling any kind of process that would start the automatic windows update: Setting my connection as metered, disabling the auto start up and task scheduler instances of windows update, adding a second account and force the automatic windows update to only get triggered whenever you log in to that second account (i never logged in on that account). Great. No windows update for 2 weeks.

Now, 2 weeks later, windows of course found a fking way to download and ask me about the install again. I don't want you to download a fking update i don't need.

Now, back to my question: Is there ANY fking way to PERMANENTLY get the windows update to fk off and never bother me again? And NO, i don't need your fking "critical updates", fk windows, if anyone feels the need to hack my laptop or install ransomware on it - i don't care. The only programs i have here is steam, blizzard and Minecraft. All i want is to play games on this device without constantly having to worry about high disk, cpu and network usage because of some fking useless windows update.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom