Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to delete them, hangs at 0% when trying to move them

C

CaptainTeo

I'm currently facing a problem in Windows 10 where any files with the extension .ogg completely lock up in Explorer. This only started recently, and I was able to handle these files completely normally until then. If I try to rename them, Explorer freezes and I have to restart it. If I try to delete them (either moving them to Recycle Bin or with the Permanently Delete option), nothing happens whatsoever. Oddly, I can make a copy of the file in the same folder or any other folder, but I can't move the file - that just brings up the move dialogue, which hangs on 0% until I restart Explorer. Windows can open the file just fine, however - double-clicking on it opens it in the default program that I have set for Ogg files and plays them normally.

If I save an Ogg file with any other extension (test.abc or test.mp3 instead of test.ogg, for example), Explorer handles it completely normally and can rename or delete it. If I then change that name to have the .ogg extension, Windows starts handling it as described, ignoring or freezing when I try to do anything to it. Conversely, if I take a file that isn't an Ogg file (such as an image file that was saved as test.png), I can rename it to test.ogg and Windows actually will be able to rename or delete it, which has me even more confused. While testing this, I also found that Ogg files saved as [file].ogx also lock up in the same way, despite not being saved as [file].ogg.

The same thing happens with folders - I can't delete or rename a folder that contains Ogg-encoded files with the .ogg extension. This extends to files and folders created before I started having this problem, not just new ones that I've made during this time.

I don't get any error messages from this, including the "file cannot be found" one that people with similar problems mention.

I've never come across a problem like this in all of my time using any version of Windows. It started a few weeks ago when I was trying to render an Ogg version of a collection of Wav files for some audio work, made a mistake with one of them (I just had the wrong part of the audio selected when I exported it - nothing that should cause system-wide problems like this) and tried to delete it to redo it, and found that I couldn't. I've currently had to postpone the work that I'm doing until I can get this fixed, and have entire folders sitting in the work directory that I currently can't use or remove because of it. I have previously worked with Ogg files on this PC and installation of Windows before without problems, so this is something that's come up recently, but I can't think of any changes that I could have made that might have caused this. I've tried searching on and off for the last few weeks for information on how to fix it, but haven't been able to find anything that's relevant to this specific case. If I can get some help to fix this, I'd really appreciate it.

Specs:
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (latest updates installed on 11th October 2019)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz
RAM: 32 GB DDR4
GPU: NVidia GeForce 1660 Ti 6 GB
Please let me know if you need any other information.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom