One physical W16 server, Two + VLANS , one NIC , multiple DHCP scopes , Possible , how?

90Ninety

Hi Folks

During downtime at work , I am doing some research and practical testing for VLANS and Windows server ( within a Lab VLAN ) .

So Far I have managed to create a trunk ( between router and managed cisco switch ) and two VLANS Work/Production (ID 3) and Lab/Testing (10), each with its own subnet , and have successfully deployed AD/DNS/DHCP within the lab environment on a different subnet . Just to get a feel for things

In the future I want at least three VLANS , each on their own subnet ( idea ; Work/Production , Hotdesk/guest and R&D/Testing )

Is it possible to get IP's from the one ( physical bare-bones Windows 2016 server) DHCP server and have all devices, across all subnets/Vlans administered and controlled by the one Windows server ? The physical environment in total , would only ever have 20- 25 users and computers at any one time , possibly 45 in total if all online on premise . For argument sake ; lets say 15 users/ computers per VLAN .

For example From the one physical server , within our rack ;

a) I want to be able to create and set user privileges for the company ( users and computers) , who reside on the Work VLAN , who get their IP from the physical server .
b) Concurrently I want to set up users and privileges for the Hotdesk user and computers , who are on a different VLAN .
Caveats ; currently my server on the Lab network , is a regular Dell Workstation , there is just one Realtek GBE NIC . Though I understand this NIC does support multi VLANS

I am confused as to how to do this ,my original idea was to have the server on a trunk with many virtual VLAN ethernet interfaces , create these on the NIC , then have seperate DHCP scopes on each Virtual NIC . There is an article here which prompted this train of thought :

Multiple VLANS on Windows server ( external link)

I suspect there are several ways to do this , just looking at the simplest , as I do not have a great deal of experience . Any advise or guidance given will help me learn further and progress in my career - it would be much appreciated

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom