Windows 10 (corporate environment) - desktop shortcut keys (properties, shortcut key) for hotkey shortcuts to open apps stop working after logoff

J

johnqflorida

My custom shortcut keys / hotkeys for desktop shortcuts (for example, to say that keystroke combination control-shift-alt-N opens Notepad) work fine until I logoff. Next time, they don't work (even though the shortcut properties display that the keys are still active.)

Background: Desktop shortcuts can have a custom hotkey assigned as follows: Right click the shortcut, choose properties, click into the 'Shortcut key' box, pick a keyboard combination, then hit Apply, then OK). (By the way, If you don't use these, give it a try, you'll love it.) (More background, I have all these shortcuts on my desktop (which along with the start menu, are the two places where you have to save them, if you want the custom shortcut key to work.) And finally, this is a corporate environment where Windows is pretty carefully locked down, although I do have admin access.)

Problem:

It seems to be after logging off or restarting. When I return, hitting my saved shortcut-key combination will not activate the application (none of them will). The shortcut keys still show up when I look at the shortcut's properties though, but they no longer function.)

More background: With the pre-existing ones not working, I can create a NEW shortcut to something else, assign a new (different keystroke combination) custom shortcut key, apply and store it, and THAT new custom shortcut key will work, until the next logoff/restart.

What I've tried:

I found suggestions about Region settings and Language settings (I've only got one region and language selected, so that tip didn't apply), the registry ("nowinkeys", but that did not apply, it had NOT been previously disabled), and group policy edit ("turn off windows hotkeys"), but again, it had not been disabled previously. I've tried re-saving the shortcuts. And I have them specifically on the desktop, which is where they're supposed to be.

So, what's going on? Any ideas?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom