Black Screen after Successful Logon - Server 2016 Standard (Domain Controller)

M

MicrosoftServers

I built several instances of Server 2016 Standard, including 4 VM's and 2 physical servers. Half of these servers sit in a parent domain, and half in a child domain. There is a transitive trust between these domains, and the Windows firewall is disabled on all of these servers. These 6 servers were promoted to domain controllers. There is only one GPO that applies to these servers, which is the default domain controller policy (with modifications for my environment). I have several Server 2008 R2 x64 servers, which have this same one GPO applied, and are domain controllers, as well (living in the same OU). All of the 2016 servers were brought into my environment within a couple weeks.

I am able to log into the three 2016 servers, which are DC's in the child domain, with the domain administrator account. When I log into these same server with my Enterprise Administrator account (parent domain), the logon is successful, but the screen goes black. This is true of both the VM console and RDP session.

I do not have this problem with any of the 2008 R2 servers, in either the parent or child domains, which have the same one GPO applied to them (in the child domain). I also do not have this problem with any of the 2016 servers, in the parent domain.

I have performed a web search on this, and many folks have indicated a similar or exact problem, but with no resolution. If you have any thoughts for what to check to resolve the black screen, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom