How to increase the number of items shown in "Recent Folders" folder in Windows 10, or "Recent Items" folder.

S

StevenRoussos

So I wanted a Desktop shortcut and an entry in Quick Access in any Explorer folder's sidebar to let me see a good sized list of recent folder I had opened.

For the 1st I followed these instructions:

Create Recent Folders Shortcut in Windows 10

Nice. NOTE: You can pin that to the Taskbar or Startmenu if desired.

For the 2nd I followed these instructions:

How to Pin Recent folders or Recent Places to the Navigation Pane in Windows 10 File Explorer

And followed thru to pin that to Quick Access.

(After opening I add a column for "Date Accessed" and sort it based on that.)

BUT: the numer items listed in the resulting Quick Access folder seems capped at an odd arbitrary 33 items.

I wanted to increase that to 50, just to have a longer historical list of folders I had opened in the recent past.

SOOOO.... I Googled up these instructions for a small registry hack:

How to Increase the Number of Jump List Items in Windows 10

which adds a registry entry "JumpListItems_Maximum" in the appropriate place in the registry to set the legth of Widows' "Jump Lists." In my case I set the decimal value to 50, then used File, Exit to properly close RegEdit. The article says that should instantly increase the number of "Recent" type listings to 50.

I closed all open "Recent Folders" folders I had opened earlier, then I opened some new folders and then tried both the Desktop shortcut and the Quick Access link, HOWEVER, the number of items in both is still capped at 33.

Has that capability be removed or is there some other way to do what I am trying to do?

NOTE: I can also go to C:\Users\<my userame>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent (I created a desktop shortcut to that) then put kind=folder in the Search box.

THAT list seems capped at 36 long. Weird. Still a cap but slightly longer.

This all seems arbitrary, and capped at 33 and 36, respectively.

Help me understand how those folders work, if there really is any way to control their length, and why that Jump List length Registry hack no longer works.

THANKS.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom