Weird issue with standard application

B

blind3d2019

Hello there,

I'm having issues with setting the default app for .pdf files. Only .pdf files..

Here is the story:

After updating PDF24 (version 8.2.1 to 9.0.0) and Acrobat Reader (XI to DC, latest release) all terminal servers forgot their default app to open pdf files.

When a user logs on to our terminal servers (Server 2012 R2) and tries to open a PDF file he is propmted to chose the default app to open PDFs with. After chosing Adobe Reader everything seems to work fine until the user logs off and back on again.

The server forgets the association.

If I logon locally with a local admin or users, the issue doesn't occur.

The most weird thing about all this is: when PDF24 and Adobe Reader are uninstalled and a TS user chooses the Editor to be default app for .pdfs the setting gets lost on logging off and back on as well...

I traced the issue with the process monitor and saw the svchost is replacing the userChoice Regkey (HKU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\UserChoice) during the logon process. So I tried to enforce a RegKey via GPO but without success.

The XML Standard-App GPO and Open With GPO are ignored as well.. I'm running out of ideas.

What could be overwriting default app settings for PDFs only. If I change the file assoc from a TXT file to WordPad, it is working..

Continue reading...