WindowsUpdate fails Windows 10 1803 to 1903

M

MacyPopples

Spent about 70 man-hours trying to update with repeated fail and rollback. Tried everything on Microsoft support and google. Support expires in 7days so pretty desperate.

Toshiba Satellite x64 Laptop

Originally Windows 8.1 free upgrade to 10 on release. Legal license.

All the below tried:

Update fully up to date (according to WindowsUpdate) to Version 1803 OS Build 17134.1099

Drivers for system, motherboard/BIOS up to date

Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall uninstalled/deactivated

Windows Update Service reset (net stop wuauserv, cryptsvc, bits and msiserver; rename SoftwareDistribution folder to .old; start wuauserv, cryptsvc, bits, msiserver)

Secure Boot disabled in UEFI firmware.

Uninstalled, cleared (SLMGR) and finally re-entered and activated existing Licence Key - which was accepted.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth . No problems

SFC /scannow. No problems.

In Place Upgrade attempted 3 times, using (correct version) ISO obtained via the Media Creation Tool for latest 1903 x64, first via external USB DVD drive, then Virtual CD drive (set to stay mounted after reboot) from within Windows 10 (all peripherals apart from mouse disconnected). Completes full upgrade process including a restart without any issues or warnings (several hours later).Then shuts down. On restart, every time I get the dreaded reverting to previous version, or whatever it says, and I'm back where I started. When back in Windows, the last three times there's been a notice saying "Unable to Install... etc etc" followed by the following error codes and message:

0xC1900101-0x30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation.

This seems to suggest some sort of driver/hardware conflict but no clue after much search how to deal with it.

I have run the Windows Update troubleshooter with following issues:

Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected - Fixed -(Tick)

Repair Windows Update DatabaseCorruption - Not Run

"One troubleshooting step to resolve WU issues is to delete and re-download updates to your computer. Would you like to try this step now? Depending on your network configuration, you may incur download costs."

This has been done multiple times

Windows Update components must be repaired - Fixed - (Tick)

I have also been the whole way through the Fix Windows Update Errors (10164) walk-through from start to finish except for the Clean Install - I REALLY dont want to have to completely start again setting up user accounts, re-installing several years of software, hardware and data (I'm fully backed-up) when it's clearly an upate/upgrade problem, and there are no guarantees the Clean Install with actually work.

Actually, we all know this is down to a flaky Windows update either at 1803 or 1903, and MS don't seem able to sort it. Meanwhile I have a legal version of Windows 10 which I cannot update and am about to run out of support.

Any suggestions? I'm drowning here.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom