BSOD on deployment of Windows 7 to 10 upgrade in SCCM

• Thread starter Charlie_Ringling
  • Start date
C

Charlie_Ringling

In order to meet Microsoft's end of support date in January, we have been attempting an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 to Windows 10. This appears to be a problem with some Dell machines. I have a newer Dell machine and it upgraded successfully. Currently, it is failing on Optiplex 780 and 390's. Also on Precision T1700. They all crash at 90-91%.

Some have suggested it is because the hardware is not supported. However, we can upgrade these machines manually and it works fine.

When each machine reaches 90% during the upgrade, it throws a blue screen with the error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and then does a memory dump and reboots. We have ran setupDiag to determine what is causing the failure. We have eliminated the drivers that were listed as incompatible.

These are the steps I have taken to resolve the issue:
1. I ran a chkdsk /x /r /f to test for any file system issues
2. I ran sfc/scannow to repair any OS issues
3. I have uninstalled all software on a test computer this is happening on. I also removed the antivirus software from it.
4. I have tried running the task sequence after a clean boot
5. I removed all hardware drivers based upon the error reports.
6. I have manually ran the Windows 10 compatibility check with no problems found

The SetupDiagResults.log file only shows an error with a memory dump during setup.

I have examined the memory dump file and could not necessarily find anything that jumps out at me as to the issue.

If anyone would like to look at the logs and the dump file, they are located here:

Thanks,

Charlie

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom