Use Machine with Cellular connection as a gateway over ethernet

J

JustinWilliams

I have one machine (Machine A) running Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). It has a cellular connection to the internet using a Telit module. It does not have Wifi. I want other machines to be able to access the internet via the Ethernet cable using machine A. I know I am supposed to be able to share a connection but something seems fundamentally broken. Older versions of Windows used to be able to do this.

So, what should happen is under the connection properties select Share this Connection and choose the Ethernet connection I want to share it with. I get the message stating that it will now set the IP to 192.168.137.1 and that I should set machine B to use DHCP. Machine B just does not pick up a config when connected. I can't even manually configure it to work. Machine A has 2 Ethernet ports so If I use port A to connect to the internet and share that with port B then everything works as expected. The problem is these machines will be in a remote location and only have cellular access. It's like the ethernet just cannot communicate properly with the cellular. It is as though Microsoft has invested everything into Wifi Hotspots and neglected to fix the other options.

Has anyone tried to do this? Any ideas?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom