Lenovo T470s - CPU Power Management make windows 10 randomly freeze / hang - How to fix / resolved

N

Nementon

Hi,

Since the beginning (day one) I'had issues with my T470s and windows 10. The system randomly totally freeze / hang that force me to hard reboot it. (Every firmware update was a terrifying moment!)
At the time, I tried a lot of stuff to try to resolve it. It seem that a lot of people had meet those kind of issues.

I'had manage for a while to decrease the freeze ratio of at least one every hours to one a month by scheduling a Task on user logon that's run (as admin):
`netsh winsock reset`

Don't ask me why, really I can't say why but it has worked .... Recently that one crash a month annoyed me, and I tried to definitely fix it.
After resetting a lot of stuff, applying fix, memory scan, windows files scan ... the worst happened, I came back to a full freeze / hang every hours.
The `netsh winsock reset` black magic didn't had any effect anymore.

A lot of people noticed that by disabling the "Power services" we can solve that problem, but the issue is that by doing that our CPU is always running its clock at full speed. I didn't really want that.

But here what I found, in the BIOS setting of the T470s, their is an option, one option to find them, one option to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!

This option is the "CPU Power Management".
It seem that this option is made to totally stop the clock of the processor when no activity is recorded, to make some power saving.
I disabled it.

So now, it's more than two month i didn't meet the hang issue again, my processor clock do not always run at full speed. Everything good.

If you are the owner of T470s or maybe any recent Txxx of lenovo and you meet that issues, try this ;)

Best regards.

Continue reading...