Which ISO should I be using to reinstall Windows 10?

M

marneo21

I previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on a PC and was told I could therefore skip the steps which ask for a product key during the installation process and was directed to this link:
to download the Media Creation Tool in order to create a bootable USB flash drive.

I went to the link and selected the 32 bit and downloaded the Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) and then saved it to my flash drive and then plugged it into the USB port of my corrupted laptop. I managed to change Boot Order in BIOS which I understood should have allowed me to begin installing Windows 10 but then I got the following:
Missing operating system

I tried more than once with the same result. One thing I noticed though on Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) is that it says there 'To use the media creation tool, visit the Microsoft Software Download Windows 10 page from a Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device'. I downloaded it to a desktop running Vista and I also noticed that although I understood the file should be around 8 GB in size, according to Properties on my Vista-operated machine, it reads only 3.54 GB (3,808,397,312 bytes) on my flash drive.

Is the problem possibly that I am not visiting the Microsoft Software Download Windows 10 page from a Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 device but rather from a Vista-operated system or is there a step I am missing somehow or what?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom