Compaq CQ5814 long delay to BIOS screen and fails to wake after Windows 10 upgrade

R

remaker

(originally posted at lab.remaker.com)

Scenario: A Compaq CQ5814 (5800 Series) AMD CPU with the ArrowwoodD motherboard (AMD Hudson D1 Fusion Control Host, AAHM1-B2) running Windows 10 has the following problems.

1. When powering on after shutdown, there is a long 90 second delay before showing the BIOS boot screen. Screen appears instantly when power supply is disconnected, reconnected and powering on.
  2. When resuming from suspend, the power button turns from yellow to blue, fans spin up, but video never turns on.

There was no problem in earlier versions of Windows 10: Version 1803 (April 2018 Update) seemed to be fine, but versions 1809 (October 2018 Update) and later have the problem, including the November 2019 release.

After trying refreshing, reinstalling, a new video card, erasing and resetting the UEFI partition and a number of fruitless repair attempts, I found that disabling the Realtek Network card driver fixed the problem. You can disable it in Device Manager to solve the issue, but in order to prevent it from being accidentally turned on, I also disabled it in the BIOS.

There is no updated driver from Microsoft or Realtek, nor is there a newer BIOS. I added an external USB Wi-Fi card for network connectivity, which solved both the boot delay and the failure to resume from suspend (failure to wake up from sleep).

Here are the Ethernet driver details, to help search engines find this note:

Realtek

4/9/2015

Microsoft Windows

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_2ABC103C&REV_05

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_2ABC103C

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&CC_0200

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom