Migrate Win 10 Pro from OEM HDD to internal PCIe SSD

J

JPinterest

Migrate Win 10 Pro from OEM HDD to PCIe SSD
Computer: DELL Precision 5820 Tower Workstation. OEM installed Windows 10Pro 64-bit (with latest updates).

The OEM System included installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS on SATA Hard drive. The BIOS is UEFI with Secure Boot enabled and TMP.

For faster startup, I want to migrate the Dell installed OS from the OEM hard drive to a new internal Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD. (Move just the OS and retained the original OEM hard disk inthe computer). I do not want the hastle of a clean install of windows 10 Pro.

Using MiniTools Partition Wizard, I mgrated the OS to the SSD (SSD is GPT mode; not mbr). Both the OEM HDD & the SSD now show up as OS drives, However, I cannot set the boot loader priority (in BIOS) to reognize the SSD as a Boot option. I can only boot from the OEM HDD. I do not want to disable Secure Boot.

I have the latest UEFI BIOS installed. The SSD is installed in an M.2 to PCIe slot adapter card in a compatible (greater capacity, X16) PCIe slot.

Does Microsoft have an update of trusted hardware or drivers for the Western Digital SSD ( M.2 PCIe WD Black SN750 NVMe, model WDS500G3XHC ) Western Digital does not have drivers for the SSD.

Incidentally, Using Partition Wizard, I had no problem doing this exact same change-over to an M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (formatted GPT mode) on my Dell Precision M7510 (exact same OS, with both Secure Boot and TMP enabled). The SSD recognized in the BIOS boot priority and boots A-OK.

Note: The TMP sub-version & PC client spec versions are the same, but the manufacturers version & PPI spec versions are later versions than for the 5820T computer. The WD Black M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD is also different model (WDS512G1X0C-00ENX0)

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom