Can't run programs, get "device not ready," can't run as admin except in safe mode, & more (all old Q's locked)

S

silvanet_1

First, every possible relevant prior question post is locked. The solutions I've tried don't work. So here I am.

My system: PC running Windows 10 Pro, version 1903, Build 18362.476, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), Asus B85M-E R3 mb, 24GB RAM. I hope that's enough.

My problems seem to keep escalating and I'm trying to avoid a complete re-installation. I actually did that not long ago when I installed a Samsung 860 EVO ssd.

Where to begin:

It started with "Device not ready" message trying to run QuickAssist for Microsoft support agent when I couldn't open my local Word from Office 365. He couldn't repair that and figured I had a Windows problem so he transferred me over to that section.

They opened up a case, but after close to two hours they couldn't get it to work nor could they with alternative LogMeIn Rescue Assist.

I noticed we could not get anything to run as administrator. We tried safe mode and it worked there, but they failed to figure out what was happening. I have repair disk on USB so we booted from there and were not able to repair anything.

I tried DISM. It's hard for me to even detail everything because with all the Device not ready stuff suddenly my installation of Google Chrome and all my bookmarks disappeared - literally vanished from my drive. I tried to reinstall it but can't. Something is blocking the installation. I've tried offline installers, nothing works. So, without details, let me summarize. I went to documentation on using DISM and from safe mode because I couln't get elevated cmd otherwise, I tried:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, and

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

The last one reported successful termination and that the image was repairable, but could not find online image.

I added local source from my downloaded ISO. I mounted it, noted the drive letter, and index number, but kept getting error. I extracted the install file and put it in the root of the C drive and tried again with same no success.

My first problem is trying to get that "repairable" image repaired from a local source file.

The command I was using as best I could figure was this:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:C:install.esd:6 /LimitAccess

The index for Win 10 Pro was 6.

Even in safe mode this can't complete.

Second problem would be to be able to run command prompt as administrator in regular (not safe) mode. I tried every possible way, but the ALL failed.

I'm hoping that fixing the image can repair that "device not ready" message I'm getting when I try to run almost anything.

If I could re-install Google Chrome, that would also help a great deal.

I'm running full anti-spyware/malware scan right now. I regularly have run Webroot as my default antivirus. It's normally been very good.

I'd appreciate help from someone who really knows their Windows stuff well.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom