97.5 % of copied data copied from Win XP to portable hard drive disappeared - but total drive size is reduced by the amount of this data

D

dB.Distler

Hello,

I copied some 60 GB from a Netbook running Windows XP Home to a 2-month-old portable hard disc drive. The Netbook had TeraCopy installed which supposedly monitored the process giving feedback such as percentage and time remaining.

When I went to access the copied folders later, I clicked on the top-level folder and Windows 10 opened the following message:

You Don’t currently have permission to access this folder.
Click continue to permanently get access to this folder

The progress bar ran its course and when I opened the folder it only contained 1 folder and its sub-folders out of the dozens of folders that should be there. It reads 1.5 GB in size out of the approximately 60 GB I copied. I have hope the other 97.5 % of data wasn’t lost because the total hard drive’s size has been reduced in 60 GB. And all the data previously saved to the disc is intact.

I’ve set Folder Explorer Options View tab to

Show hidden files, folders and drives

and unchecked

Hide protected operating system files

(even though what I copied are travel pictures and documents).

I’ve twice scanned the disc with a data recovery program (Recuva Pro) in both normal and in-depth modes and found no “deleted” files.

I’ve also run searches on folder names I remember, to check they weren’t accidentally copied to another folder on this drive.

Can anyone shed any light on what’s going on?

The netbook that originally held the files was formatted to become a Linux machine, so I can’t go back to that without a much larger effort than would be recovering the selected files I copied to this portable Seagate Expansion drive.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom