Error Code: 0xc0000225 after Dec 2019 security update Windows 10

J

Jill_Martin

After the Dec 2019 security update, my computer won't boot. I am on Windows 10 version 1809 and I get a blue screen with Error Code 0xc0000225. The only option that is accessible is UEFI/Firmware settings (Enter, F1, and F8 do nothing). I hit Esc during reboot to get into UEFI and change my primary boot order, which then allows me to boot into recovery from a USB with Windows 10 ISO file. After selecting language, I can select the Repair your Computer option at the bottom. From the Recovery Environment brought up with this bootable USB, my options in troubleshoot are (1) Startup Repair, (2) Command Prompt, (3) Uninstall Updates, (4) UEFI Firmware Settings, (5) System Restore, or (5) System Image Recovery. I don't see Automatic Repair option folks mention in other threads. Or is it now called Startup Repair?

I cloned the OEM 256gb SSD (C: drive) to a new 2TB SSD a couple of months ago, and have had no problems, boot or otherwise...until I accepted an update a couple of days ago. I used AOMEI backupper, made an exact copy to keep the EFI/System partition the same, booted from cloned SSD, then used disk management to make unallocated space active and expanded the volume to include the full memory of the new SSD. I removed the new SSD from the new computer and inserted it in a NVMe to USB adapter. I inserted the SSD reader in my old computer to access disk management. Now I see that there is no WinRE partition on the new 2tb SSD. I am afraid this may have led to my boot issues during/after update. It's the only thing that is different from the original SSD (aside from all the programs I've installed and associated data). Is this the problem? Also, I noticed in diskpart/list volume that the drive letters have changed: the 2tb SSD called WINDOWS is now the D: drive, and the 1tb HDD called DATA is now the C: drive. But I don't think volume numbers and drive letters necessarily match real world when in repair mode (Drive z:). But if that's causing problems, perhaps it could be corrected with command prompts?

I have backed up my personal files so I could do a fresh install, but I would prefer to not re-install everything and set it all up again. What's the best way to proceed? Am I able to use the USB UEFI boot media tool to restore my boot files/windows image/recovery partition without losing everything else on the drive? Or should I attach the 2tb SSD to another desktop to repair my partitions, then reinsert in my computer? Is it possible to copy just the system and WinRE partitions only to the SSD?

Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom