Trouble using Safe Mode to fix Windows 10

R

RobertPetrowsky

Windows 10 suddenly stopped loading today. It will get to the login screen and either freeze there or immediately after I put in my password. I placed it into safe mode with networking and began going through the various repair options. I'm running into dead ends everywhere I turn and am not finding answers in any prior threads. I'm running Windows 10, build 17763.914.

I tried to reset the PC, which failed. I am unable to access any of my restore points. I started thinking there was a physical problem with the computer, so I loaded Linux on my partition. It loaded and worked fine.

I tried running SFC /Scannow, which showed many corrupted files but was unable to fix them. I switched to DISM RestoreHealth. It made it through about 85% and shut down with error 1084 the service cannot be started in Safe Mode. At this point, I started thinking I should use Media Creation Tool and restore from a valid image. It came up with a message "there was a problem running this tool" with error code 0x8007043C - 0x90018. When that didn't work, I downloaded and ran SFCFix. I received the same error as I did with RestoreHealth.

At this point, I started thinking a virus was blocking me. I attempted to run Windows Defender offline. The restart failed. I tried to use Malwarebytes, which was unable to connect to the service. I checked in the system services and its startup type was set to manual. I attempted to set it to automatic and received an error stating access is denied.

I thought AVG might help so I tried to download it. It failed to install.

I'm running into roadblocks on literally everything I try. I would appreciate any insight into what I'm missing here.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom