Audio; no sound after installing NVIDIA Quadro K600

S

Sheyenne Dreamer

I have a solution for those having a similar problem with an NVIDIA (or other graphics card). Here is the solution I found.

How did I get the problem? Upgraded the video on my workstation (hp XW6600) to a medium performance video card (very adequate for what I do) to help fix temporary (1-2 second) hang problems I was having as well as screen horizontal streaking and screen jitter. Also wanted a newer video card that has Windows 10 drivers/support.

Chose to get a K600, which has DVI output. DVI is better than the analog VGA I had.

Unplugged the computer, installed the K600 card. Put all back together, powered up the computer. Video was good. Went to "msinfo" which brought up the System Information Screen. Selected Components -> Display and wrote down the driver number - 21.nn.nn.nnnn. Downloaded the latest (Dec. 2019) driver for the K600 from the NVIDIA website, then installed it. Went back to "msinfo" and it showed the driver was updated to 26.nn.nn.nnnn. Video was great. The streaking problem and screen jitter went away. Had not been running long enough to see if I would still have the temporary hang problems. So far, a day later, no hangs.

Then I wanted to see the video perform on a 'video', like from a news site. Result: great video, but no sound.

Went into Device Manager. Clicked on 'Sound, video and game controller' It showed 'NVIDIA High Definition Audio'. This was new, so OK, the driver for the K600 must have had an audio component that got installed. The 'High Definition Audio Device' I used to have was no longer there. Went up to the menu bar and selected View -> Show Hidden Devices. Now the 'High Definition Audio Device' appeared. I right-clicked on it, then clicked on Properties. The Device Status was that it was not plugged in (Code 45). This was odd; it is built-in on the motherboard.

Went to Control Panel -> Sound. The 'playback' tab came up by default. The sub-window showed nothing - no sound card. I right clicked in the sub-window and turned on 'Show Disconnected Devices' and left on 'Show Disabled Devices'. By doing this, I got two new entries: "NVIDIA HDMI Output (Port 0)" and "NVIDIA HDMI Output (Port 1)." Both had a message in the 3rd line saying "Not plugged in." The K600 has an HDMI connector accessible next to the DVI connector. I did not need a digital sound interface that would not work with my analog powered speakers. I needed the standard analog interface to go to my speakers.

So now what? I went back to the Device Manager. I found the 'NVIDIA High Definition Audio', right-clicked on it, and disabled the driver. I thought that perhaps the driver was interfering with the driver for my motherboard-imbedded RealTek audio circuits. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for my RealTek audio. Result: No change. Sound still did not work. I then reinstalled the 'NVIDIA High Definition Audio' and finished debug for the day.

This morning tried again. I saw a post saying his or her solution was to alter a BIOS setting.

So I powered down the computer. I turned it back on and tapped the appropriate Fnn key to bring up the BIOS Setup screen. Looked for anything having to do with Audio. I found only one entry. It was for "Integrated Audio." It was Disabled. I switched it to 'Enable'. I saved the change, crossed my fingers and exited the BIOS. The OS then brought the XW6600 up. I turned on the Media Player, and I had sound. Problem Solved.

I went back into the Device Manager, and I could now see the 'High Definition Audio Device'. It was no longer hidden and it was "working properly."

I went back into 'Control Panel -> Sound', and I still had the two NVIDIA entries (as 'Not plugged In'), but now I also had my 'High Definition Audio Device.' It had the big green check mark on it. So all was good, everything looked good, and I have normal sound again through my speakers.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom