W10p asks for user/pass only when mapping share from other subnet.

I

-idiocracy

For some explicable reason, windows has decided to no longer accept access to it's shared folder from other subnets, and no one appears to know why. I have asked high and low and no one has the foggiest idea what's going on.

Similar issue here, unresolved: social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/how-can-i-fix-file-shares-across-subnets-in-windows-10-creator-update

And here, also unresolved: social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/map-network-drive-across-subnet

1. Short version: If i map "\\x.x.x.x\files" from the same subnet, explorer will map it, no questions asked and everything works. If i do the same from another subnet i am asked to provide user/pass, which i can't because there isn't any. This only happens when mapping from another subnet and never happens when mapping from same subnet.

2. Setup. Windows 10 pro 1909.

1909 or possible earlier version broke network sharing and required clients to edit gpedit and activate "allow insecure guest logon". Mentioned here: https://tech.nicolonsky.ch/windows-10-1709-cannot-access-smb2-share-guest-access/

Folder is shared, permissions are "everyone" and have been given "full control".

settings/network/network and sharing center/edit advanced sharing settings

Private profile: All machines are using this profile.

Network registration = on​

activate automatic config for devices with network access = on​

File and printer sharing = on​

All networks

Use 128-bit encryption = on​

password protected file sharing = off​

Firewall, this i am unsure what effects have as it was a suggestion made from another thread i found.

The default settings for these, properties/scope/external IP are all set to "local subnet" by default.

smb-in​

nb-datagram-in​

nb-name-in​

nb-session-in​

For all of them i have added 10.x.x.x/24 to the list, this has made no difference. Local IP is set to "all ip's". I am unsure about what defines local and external. To me local is lan ip's and external are wan or possibly external subnet ip's. This is apparently not the case as "local subnet" is default under external ip.

Logbook/logfile for programs and services/microsoft/windows/smbserver/security creates two entries when trying to connect from other subnet

Event ID 551​

Permission error in smb-session​

Username: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON​

Event ID 1009​

server denied anonymous access to client​

So there's clear evidences that both host and client machines are seeing and responding to each other, but for some reason the client machine is being asked for user/pass, this even tho every setting on the host machine that should allow the connection without asking for user/pass is set that way.

Any ideas?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom