3D Applications/Games Crashing 3 Different Systems?

X

XAGMNINETY

Hello, everyone.

Allow me to attempt to detail the last few days.

I have 3 PC's in my possession currently. Here are the specs for all 3:

WORKSTATION:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600x @4.0 GHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Arctic MX-4 applied)
EVGA Geforce GTX 970 4 GB SC
ASUS WiFi Card
Elgato HD60 Pro Capture Card
MSI X470 GAMING PRO MB
Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16 GB
500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD
1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM HDD
8 TB Seagate Barracuda Compute HDD
500w Corsair 80+ PSU (Non-Modular)
Fractal Focus G Case (w/1 extra Noctua 12 Fan)
Total Wattage (via PCPP)- ~389 W

GAMING:
Intel i7-9700K OC @ 4.9 GHz
Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX Black (Arctic MX-4 applied)
EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 Ti SC 8 GB BLACK
MSI Z390 GAMING EDGE AC MB
Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3600 16 GB
500 GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVME SSD
1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD
650w EVGA G5 SuperNOVA 80+ Gold Modular PSU
Fractal Meshify C Case (w/1 extra Noctua 12 Fan)
Total Wattage (via PCPP)- ~425 W

MOBILE:

MAINGEAR VECTOR
Intel i7-9750h @ 4 GHz (-120 Undervolt)
Repasted with Arctic MX-4
EVGA Geforce GTX 1660 Ti SC BLACK
VECTOR Stock MB
VECTOR Stock DDR4-2666 16 GB
1 TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVME SSD
100-250w Power Brick @ 19.5 V

(For reference, the Gaming Machine is plugged into its own socket, while the Workstation is plugged into the dedicated plug on a high-end GE Power Strip that currently only powers an LED light for my desk and my 24 inch monitor).

Every single one of these machines has been crashing in 3D applications over the past two weeks.

It started on my workstation, when I ran a casual UserBenchMark and noticed that my GTX 970, once running in the 85th percentile, was now failing multiple GPU benches and straight up giving me an error on the "Sphere" benchmark. Following this, I ran a 3DMark Firestrike, but the result was excellent (almost 12000, IIRC). Playing Rocket League and MCC over the next few days, however, would yield multiple Gray Screen crashes, which I understand to be a Graphics Driver failure. I also crashed, without fail, whenever I attempted to change any Graphics settings in-game. Anti-Aliasing, shadows, you name it. Crash. I wondered for a bit if the PSU was supplying enough power, as well, but again, there's about a 100w overhead of the system (despite the Ryzen being a power hog) and the EVGA Power Supply is not cheaply made and worked without issue for the 6 months that I've owned it. Naturally, I was resigned that either my card or my PSU was on the way out, despite showing zero signs of degradation previously.

Until the exact same processes started with my 1070 Ti. UserBenchMark failed the exact same multiple tests, games began to crash, and I can't change major settings without a crash. With this, I could almost certainly rule out power, as the two machines are on two different circuits within my house and the 650w Modular has a 33+% wattage overhead for my system at max load. Which was a relief, I suppose. It also almost certainly ruled out Card failure, as well, as the likelihood of both cards failing in the exact same way is infinitesimal. The Laptop fails similarly, for what it's worth, except for giving me a complete failure for some of the tests in UBM it just gives me something like 0.2 FPS in Sphere. Games still crash if settings are attempted to be changed, most recently NFS Hot Pursuit with Shadow Detail.

This leads me to believe this is a massive driver/OS problem. All of my machines are (obsessively and unhealthily) updated to the latest drivers and OS revisions. I read somewhere that the nVidia CP was recently transferred away from its own application and now, for some godforsaken reason, runs through the Windows Store. At surface level, that seems like a massive change, so perhaps that's the culprit.

Troubleshooting steps ran:

Removed Overclocks on all CPUs and GPUs, no effect.
Removed all Overclocking Software from all PCs via clean uninstall, no effect.
Removed nVidia Drivers via Clean DDU uninstall through Safe Mode, no effect.
Changed the "Ultimate Performance" preset in Windows CP to Performance and Balanced power modes, no effect.

My current suspicion is it's the latest revision of Windows. Perhaps I'll try rolling it back sometime in the next few days.

Any help or commiseration about this issue would be greatly appreciated. I can post nVidia CP settings if need be.

Thanks.

X

Continue reading...