Valid copy and product key owned. Unable to use the USB for an upgrade. Can I just download it here and activate it with my product key?

S

SlackingAtWork

Hi all. I got a copy of Windows 10 for Xmas, bought directly from Microsoft. (The sent me the bootable USB; I didn't create the installation media.) I'd like to upgrade from 7, but the USB isn't recognized by my PC. It'll boot straight to the USB from the BIOS no problem, but that only gives me the option of doing a clean install. It doesn't allow an upgrade when I boot into it. I went round and round about why I can't get to the setup file on Windows 7 with a tech support guy and we couldn't figure it out.

I'm not trying to get an answer as to why my installation media isn't recognized by my PC. I'm looking for a simple workaround rather than wasting my day off trying to figure out why I can't get to the setup file from the USB stick.

I'm wondering if I can just download it here, then use the product key that I own to activate it. Will that work?

Again, the product was purchased directly from Microsoft. I have a valid product key. No pirating or sketchy ebay stuff going on here. It has never been installed on another computer. Everything is 100% legit. (Just want to stress that because I don't want this post flagged and deleted.)

Thank you for reading.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom