New Laptop w/Windows 10, Slow USB 3.0 Transfers to USB Drives

M

MikeOrlando02

Hello,

I have seen a number of similar posts over the past few years, but not a solution that I found that worked for me. I have a brand new HP Probook and found that transferring data to USB 3.0 hard drive or even a memory stick is very slow to the point where the OS can freeze. My backup software will not run a backup and I cannot copy large files TO USB media. I can copy from USB drives to my computer without an issue. I am seeing speeds like 5 MB/s and time estimates of "calculating".

Computer is brand new. I downloaded the current BIOS and drivers. I have removed the USB Root Hub and Controllers. Also tried reinstalling the chipset drivers. Disabling indexing doesn't seem to change anything. Changing the drive policy from fast removal to performance did help, but it still has pauses in the file transfers and I shouldn't have to do this with every drive I ever connect.

Drives work on other computers. Not sure what else to try. HP support tested the USB port in BIOS and said it was a software issue.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom