Windows 10 Clean Install Crashing

S

ShriekinCMDR

Issue:

So I've just completed a custom computer rebuild and I booted my computer to make sure everything was fine. I ended up running updates just to protect the computer, but after a few updates the computer just shut down and rebooted. I thought it was normal since there was a motherboard, GPU, and RAM change, so I just went ahead and reinstalled Windows (also bought Windows 10 Pro key from the MS Store, since mine was ancient and wouldn't work anymore). I got through the install and setup Windows 10 and it was running for a while. I started updates again, and after a few moments the computer shut down again. When it rebooted this time it didn't even make it past the Windows initialization (the spinning dots). I let it fail to Automatic Repair and booted to safe mode, the computer was able to get into safe mode fine and is stable there about 80% of the time.

TL:DR - Computer isn't stable in a Normal Windows environment, but is usually stable in Safe Mode.

Troubleshooting:

- I've reinstalled Windows multiple times

- tried a DISM repair from a shared Windows folder from the computer I'm on right now

- Ran checkdisk and sfc (chkdsk found errors and attempted a repair but didn't get back into Windows cleanly, sfc showed no issues)

- adjusted CSM support from Legacy only to UEFI First in the UEFI for the motherboard (this makes an initial Windows 10 install more stable, but it still crashes)

- Tested different RAM and GPUs (even though everything has been working fine in other computers)

- Installed WIndows 10 to a different drive (NVMe to SATA 2.5" SSD)

- System is currently running Fedora 31 installed to the NVMe drive and the computer is stable there.

- Disabled all non-Microsoft startup items and tried to boot into Windows 10 with only Microsoft startup items

- Updated UEFI from version 0801 to 1301

-ntbtlog file was showing NOT_LOADED components for the following (listing unique)

-- BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @kdnic.inf,%kdnic.devicedesc%;Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter

-- BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @cpu.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor

-- @oem3 Nvidia graphics

I don't have the bootlog file anymore since I used the flash drive for the Fedora installer, but I will gladly reinstall Windows on another drive I have to get this computer running with Windows 10. There may be others that were NOT LOADED in there, like dgx****.

System components:

Intel Core i7 6700K

Asus ROG Maximus IX Extreme

4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal @ 3333 MHz (this is a 3600 MHz CL17 kit, but that XMP profile isn't working with my board)

Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 980 ti Xtreme Gaming Waterforce

256GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe

1TB Samsung 840 Evo (was disconnected during most Windows installs, also the other drive I tested to make sure it wasn't a drive issue)

1TB Samsung 850 Evo (was disconnected during most Windows installs)

Corsair AX1200i power supply

9x Lian Li Bora Digital RGB fans

The rest is just a bunch of watercooling components like, Pump, reservoir, radiators and all the components to connect that to the CPU monoblock.

The CPU is idling at ~25-30 C. There have been no leaks in the system, and I know this because I've been checking on it every couple hours that I'm home.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(edited for additional troubleshooting performed)

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom