Duplex scanning on Windows 10 using Canon printer no longer works

R

Rascalmom

This all used to work just fine using all of the same hardware on the same network. I've been trying to debug this for hours now, and nothing has worked. IT USED TO WORK. So. Let's dive in.

I am trying to scan a long double-sided letter-size document on my Canon TR8520 printer from my Windows 10 (Dell Inspiron 15) laptop.

Windows is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, x64-based prox

Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.973)

The Canon printer is less than six months old. Since I got it, it's been scanning and printing duplex just fine using Canon's IJ Scan Utility.

Today I tried to scan a double-sided document and . . it will only scan one side. It just doesn't work in any scanning app. It scans one side of the doc and then stops instead of sending it back through the ADF to scan the other side.

I tried all of the settings changes I could find in the IJ Scan Utility but when nothing worked, I tried switching to the Windows Fax and Scan Application. It also fails to scan in duplex mode (where it used to work before). When I launch the app and select 'New Scan, Profile: Documents" the only source options I am given are: Flatbed, or Feeder (Scan one side). Typically there would also be an option for "Feeder (Scan both sides)".

I ran the troubleshooter tool (nothing found).

I checked for driver updates (it was already current).

I uninstalled the printer, shut the printer off, shut down my laptop, connected the printer to the computer using a printer cable, and then booted my laptop. The printer was detected and installed. No change.

I downloaded new drivers from here: Canon U.S.A., Inc. | PIXMA TR8520

And then rebooted. No change.

I checked the printer properties of the printer to confirm that "double-sided = YES" was set, and it is.

The printer *prints* double-sided just fine; it's just stopped *scanning* double-sided. The whole point of having an ADF is being able to load multiple pages without having to manually move them around.

WHAT HAS CHANGED?! Why has duplex scanning stopped working all of a sudden? (Note: I see that there are some older/archived threads for this same issue, all of which instruct people to try all of the things I've tried above. So . . .not the first time this issue has happened. I note that none of the previous threads seemed to have an effective resolution either.)

Please tell me what else to try. Thanks.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom