Folders are saying Read-Only but no files inside are marked Read-Only, have tried everything to fix it.

S

SolarSquish

Look, I've tried everything I can. From several different forums that have the exact same problems as me to as many websites and links as I can count on my fingers. But nothing has solved this issue. I have the most recent version of Windows installed on my computer and one day as I was trying to play a game on my computer and all of a sudden none of my towns would load (Sims 3 but that's not important to this issue). I went to Google for answers and it said it could be one of two problems. One problem being that the files were Read-Only. I went through other game files and just regular files like .mdp's from my FireAlpaca (art program also unrelated) and .jpg's I've transferred from my phone.. just simple pictures. Every file POSSIBLE on my laptop is now marked with a fully black Read-Only box. I don't know what in the world happened. I have tried listening to Windows' advice from MULTIPLE forums. Some solutions being; opening the command prompt as admin, typing in attrib -r c:\folder\*.* /s which means something special to the computer (attrib is the command, -r is the flag for removing read-only attributes, c:\folder\*.* is the folder you are running it on plus wildcards for all files, and /s is the flag for doing all sub directories and files) AND ALSO typing in ATTR DISK CLEAR READONLY which is another special command the computer reads and I was left with my computer telling me it didn't recognize the c:\folder\ which is literally my internal hard drive where the issue is happening or telling me it didn't recognize ATTR. THEN I went on to giving my user FULL ACCESS using advanced permissions on my internal hard drive and when I applied all the permissions to the user it stopped on every folder that I realized the Read-Only attribute was on and just didn't apply it saying I "didn't have access" when I was literally trying to give myself access then and there. This has gotten to the point where I'm considering hiring professional help but I just don't have the money for that right now so all my computer is good for now is using Chrome and drawing. I can't play any of my games and I have tried literally everything I believe possible. Oh, and one last thing. After all this research I've found out that a fully blacked out Read-Only box means files WITHIN the folder are marked Read-Only and not the folder itself (while check marks are opposite). But to my dismay I looked through all my FireAlpaca files to check if it was the files or folders... and literally not a single file had Read-Only. It was just my folders... so why would it have an all blacked out box??? I'm sorry for this long explanation but this is getting out of hand and there HAS to be a way to fix this problem that me and so many others are experiencing. Please, if anyone can, HELP!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom