Extremely long boot issues after Drivers and Windows update

J

JakeB25

The other day, I was updating drivers (specifically SATA AHCI controller drivers and NVIDIA display drivers). I went to go restart my computer, and saw that there was a mandatory Windows update. So, I restarted it, then I got stuck on the "ASRock" loading screen for 7 hours. I decided to shut down my computer and start it back up again.

When booting off of AHCI: SSD, like I normally would, I get the error: "reboot and select proper boot device." When booting from Windows Boot Manager (SSD) then it occasionally gives me an error saying: "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware change might be the cause... Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed." In the instance that this doesn't pop up, or if I try to load Windows anyways, I get put on a loading screen for 10 minutes and it eventually all loads up and works fine. Or, it loads forever and never starts. So when booting from Windows Boot Manager, it loads about 50% of the time after 10 minutes, which is really odd. Everything works fine from that point on unless I restart again. Before updating drivers/Windows, I had never encountered these errors, and my computer used to boot up in less than 30 seconds.

I've tried the following:

• Uninstalling latest Windows update with Windows Recovery Environment (USB)
  • Going back to a restore point (It wasn't enabled so I can't)
  • Uninstalling SATA drivers without uninstalling it's software
  • Repairing startup problems using Windows Recovery Environment
  • Using Bootrec /fixmbr in the command prompt
  • Unplugging other hard drive I have
  • Unplugging and plugging in the SSD
  • Switching SATA ports
  • Checked Event Viewer. The only reoccurring error I saw was "The RtkAudioUniversalService service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified." I tried installing RealTech Audio Drivers before the initial restart/update but the install had failed. I doubt this is causing the boot issues though.
  • Messed with boot options in the BIOS. It's set to AHCI, fast boot is off, boot order doesn't seem to make a difference.
  • Scanning the SSD for errors

One of the only things I haven't tried is reinstalling Windows. I'd like to avoid this, though, since my computer is definitely still usable, and I don't want to have to go through the tedious process of cloning all of my apps/files over. Right now I'm at a loss at what to do though, because I've tried so many things and I haven't been able to narrow down the issue at all.

Any sort of information and help is highly appreciated, thank you so much!

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

16GB Ram

1 TB SanDisk SSD (boot drive)

3 TB Hard Drive

Continue reading...