Computer Hangs on Restart During Windows 10 Updates

R

Richard94041

One of my computers hangs on restart while trying to apply Windows 10 updates. The symptoms are that when a restart is required after installing an update, everything progresses normally during the shutdown phase, but when it gets to the boot-up phase, the system hangs with the blue Windows flag and nothing else on the screen, in perpetuity. The normal rotating circle of white dots never appears, and eventually the keyboard LED and the power-button LED go out, but the blue flag remains on the screen. Leaving the system on overnight produced no change. Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect, and the only way to get out of this condition is to power down the system by pressing the power button. Pressing the power button again boots the system, and then when I look at the update history, it says the update failed.

I looked through all the lines in Device Manager, and didn't see any error flags. I tried the clean-boot procedure described on one of the Microsoft support pages, but it didn't make any difference.

I also tried making a Windows 10 installation DVD and booting from that, but it hangs during loading. The symptoms at that point are exactly the same as during a restart as described above. I tried booting the DVD on another computer (an HP), and it loads normally. I tried the DVD on the problem computer again with a hard disk installed that had all the partitions deleted, to see whether the problem had something to do with files on the hard disk, but the results were the same.

Updates install and restart with no problem when I run either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 on the problem computer (via swapping out hard drives.)

The problem computer is a Gateway FX6800-01e desktop system. I successfully did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Home a few years ago. It's currently stuck at Version 1709, OS Build 16299.1087. The system specifications are Intel Core i7-920 Quad Core, 2.67 GHz, with 3 GB RAM, 64 bits, and 64-bit OS.

At this point, I'm at my wit's end with this problem!

Continue reading...