Cannot access/open Win 10 Windows Security options

K

KoDanArmada84

A new install of a recent Win 10 iso (build 18363.592) has hit a glitch.

For those who suffer from TLDR just refer to the bold red info :)

The entire install is fine, getting notifications from 'Windows Security - Actions Recommended'. But although I can get to the Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security screen, I can't open any Windows Security > Protection areas options [Virus & Threat Protection: Account Protection: Firewall & Network Protection: etc.]

Empty disk install, there is no other security software installed (nor been installed).

I can see the greyed button [Open Windows Security] - clicking this repeatedly opens the window [How do you want to open this > Keep using this app > Windows Security] - clicking this opens error window [OpenWith.exe - X Package could not be registered]

I can see Windows Security in the Start Menu but it won't actually open anything from there. All clicking does is add a white line under the Menu item...

Ctrl+R > windowsdefender: opens error window [windowsdefender: - X Package could not be registered]

All the services look like they are started and running - but I note I have no option to Stop/start/change them (even logged in as administrator).

Ran DISM.exe /Online/Cleanup-image /Restorehealth - all fine - ran sfc /scannow - no integrity issues

Downloaded and ran the Windows Security troubleshooter - this enabled Phishing Filter & set Defender as the default Firewall (no idea why this wasn't set) but still no access to Firewall, AV from the Windows Security window.

Reboot into Safe Mode - still can't get past Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security window

When I try to run MpCmdRun.exe from administrator level command-line it reports 'not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file' (blah,blah,blah). However when I browse to the c:/Program Files/ Windows Defender directory I can run the executable.

eg MpCmdRun.exe -Scan -ScanType 1 - reports Scan Starting... but then.......nothing else (killed it)

I can execute the firewall command from anywhere in the administrator command line as well: netsh advfirewall show allprofiles

From Control Panel > System & Security > I can access Windows Defender Firewall. Under Security & Maintenance > Security > I see:

Network Firewall: link to 'View in Windows Security'

Virus Protection: link to 'View in Windows Security'

Clicking either link throws the error window [You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender link]

So it seems like all of the security processes (AV, firewall, etc.) are there - I just can't access them from the 'standard' Win 10 GUI.

I right-clicked the Start - Windows Security App > More > App Settings > Reset this app. This made no change except now the :More > App settings - just defaults to Settings > Apps, so I no longer even see any options for this app. Sigh.

Troubleshoot > Windows Store Apps finds no issues. Double sigh.

Of course there is no option to re-download this from the Microsoft store......only the Windows Defender Application Guard Companion...triple sigh.

Now before anyone says re-install....yes of course that is an option. But this is THE ONLY part of the Win10 install that isn't working and since the actual executables are all there and running it seems to be restricted to a glitch with the way the Windows Security app has installed.

However although I did 'reset the app' I'm not even sure it is an app: it certainly isn't listed on any online references when the app list is run from PowerShell. But of course I wouldn't expect it to be here on my install but if it isn't listed online.... then is it an app? Confused...nothing new.

Get-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online | Format-Table DisplayName, PackageName

If it *is* an app then shirley there must be a way to just re-install this (Dr Google hasn't found it) or maybe there is a way to re-install *just* windows security rather than the *entire* OS....

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom