I think System Restore broke my Windows 10, but no solutions work.

R

RekalaRain

I bought a brand new laptop and recieved it on Friday January 26th. It's a Lenovo L340.

The touchpad was awful to use, so I followed the advice from someone who'd bought the same laptop, and installed Precision tocuhpad drivers. That completely broke the touchpad with the error message ”Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API” or something similar. I went to the Lenovo website and re-downloaded my laptop's original touchpad driver – the one it came with. But I got the exact same result with the same error. So at that point, my only solution was to do a full system restore.

The restore took far longer than the anticipated 40 minutes – roughly 4 hours. It finally completed and my laptop booted up without any error messages, but since then, Windows has been acting strange:

- A few of my programs have crashed while in use.

- While using Windows Explorer and trying to create new files or folders, I have to hover over 'new' for upwards of 10 or 15 seconds before the pop-up menu will appear.

- Programs and browsers are often slow to start or react.

- Windows Update informs me my device is missing important safety and quality related updates.

I tried to run Windows Update, but every time it tries to install, I get the error message (0x80073712) 'Certain update files are missing or are experiencing problems'.

What I've tried so far:

I downloaded and ran Windows Update Troubleshooter. It told me it couldn't identify any issues.

I ran Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM). It completed with the message: ”The restore operation completed successfully. The operation completed successfully.”

I then ran System File Checker (SFC). It completed with the message: ”Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.”

I then tried to run Windows Update again, but got the exact same error, and the previously mentioned problems are all still present.

What do I do now? At this point, I can't think of anything else to do than return it to the store I bought it from and hope they'll either fix it under warranty or give me a new laptop, but I'd really prefer to handle this issue on my own.

Thanks.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom