Local file sharing via Ethernet network with Windows 10

J

JeffHarrison2

I have a PC upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 ver 1909 Build 18363.592. I also have a laptop with a new install Windows 10 Home ver 1903 build 18362.592.

They are the only workstations on a home network connected via Ethernet. They both use Norton Internet Security (latest version, and currently updated).

I cannot share folders or files between these devices. On both, when selecting a folder in File Explorer and the Share tab, the Share button is unavailable.

I have spent very many hours trawling the internet, including your Support pages and Community Boards, without discovering a successful solution. Some suggested “solutions” have been very complex – far too complex for a fundamental requirement like local file sharing.

I am aware of the OneNote option and logging into a Microsoft account but I am not interested in either option.

I am also aware of the “solution” requiring Full Control Permissions being assigned to Everyone for the Shared Folder- a practice I understand to have security implications.

Please advise:

1. Is the lack of file sharing capability by design, and should I give up on trying to fix it;

2. If not intended are you aware of the problem and can you direct me to the definitive, simple solution;

3. Are you aware of the problem and will you be providing an update to fix it;

4. If the only solution is to configure Permissions to Everyone can you please explain any security implications?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom