Specs

Asus Z390 ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA LGA 1151 DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i9-9900KS

Antec HCG 650W Gold Power Supply

be quiet! Silent Base 801 Orange Computer Case
Intel 660p Series 1TB, M.2 SSD Single Pack

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

SDRAM DDR4 3733 (PC4 29800) Intel Z370

be quiet! 360mm Silent Loop Ultra Quiet All-in-One Hydro Cooler, 3x 120mm Pure Wings II PWM Fans, Copper Rad, 2066/AM4

MSI GeForce RTX 2080

My PC has been built and running with a i3 3.7GHZ G5400 CPU in it since August 2019 (I know a really poor chip for the spec of PC but I needed a cheap option as I had an error code that could be either the motherboard or the CPU, £50 for a replacement CPU was a cheap fix).

Anyhow the i9-9900KS came out and the price dropped to a level I was happy to pay for, I shutdown the PC, swapped the CPU out and restarted, initially it prompted me to go into the bios as hardware had changed, then on the next reboot it tried to boot from the M.2 SSD, windows started to load (the circle of dots on the screen) then it crashed, just froze, following a BIOS update and a few more reboots I didn't get any further.

I created a new USB installation from the MS Media creation tool version 1909, Windows started to load and again crashed, I've down graded the BIOS to the previous version, again the same result, I've created a DVD installation of version 1909 and 1903 both with the same problem.

I've created a recovery USB drive and booted from that, I get the blue windows logo and about 30 seconds later I get the BSOD: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

At this point I'm stuck and are looking at going back to the i3 which is only slightly annoying given the cost of the i9-9900KS CPU.

Any Ideas?

Cheers

Mark

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom