Task Bar not responding and Windows not shutting down due to "Task Host Window: \Microsoft\Windows\Plug and Play\Device Install Reboot Required"

S

Sellerie112

Dear Microsoft community,

Yesterday (30/01/2020) I encountered the same problem people have suffered from after the 1709 Update. My Task bar is not responding at all and this does not change when restarting the explorer process. Additionally when trying to shut down the computer the process is interupted by Task Host Window telling me that background tasks are being stopped. One of those always includes the following in brackets:

\Microsoft\Windows\Plug and Play\Device Install Reboot Required

If I do wait it out, the computer simply goes back to the login screen and doesn't shut down.

I have tried every suggestion given in other threads (including a disk clean up as well as trying to access the settings panel in order to change the automated login settings, which didn't work out since I couldn't access the settings panel), but mostly suffer from the fact that I cannot even open the settings as my computer doesn't respond to either the windows key or the settings menu inside the windows explorer. I can access task manager and via new task the run command, hence I can access cmd.exe and regedit. Neither has helped me so far in solving the problem. I also cannot access the safe mode as the computer simply doesn't respond anymore once I get to the final restart option in Troubleshooting. I can click restart and it does appear to shut down, but then just doesn't show anything while continuing to run. Even pressing F4-F6 for safe mode on the blackscreen doesn't help, thus I can't tell whether or not this problem persists in safe mode.

I am currently on

Windows version - 1903 (Build 18362.592)

64-bit version

Thank you for your help.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom