some Alt codes not working now - can't fix

G

Greg Lang 01

I am posting this, as the Search function has become broken by Microsoft recently, and I can find only one thread that way, about the subject of my problem. I get a default Search setting of Office, which I don't use and which is completely irrelevant to my issue.

I have done a Google search twice - the second one with "Microsoft Community Forums" added. I have found nothing under "some alt codes not working" that helps me. I have tried some of the solutions, and they don't help. Turning on the number lock with mouse function doesn't help, as all I get when trying to type in Alt codes is the cursor moving in different axes.

I can use 4-digit Alt codes that begin with "0". However, the 2-digit codes, for musical characters, are not working, although they had been in recent months. I hadn't heard of the Microsoft Symbols Library until now - but musical notations, and many other special characters, are not on it - and it's only on Word. I am using non-office Outlook.

In reading the posts, it's difficult to follow because some of the changes through upgrades to the current Windows OS (10) are rapid - apparently particularly with this issue, This in turn makes implementing them difficult.

I am using Windows 10, and it appears that this is a very common issue that is quite specific to that OS. The changes to Alt codes are sudden; and generally not remediable. Please acknowledge this, and avoid exclusively referring to users needing to tinker with their computers, to try to resolve it.

It is very unclear where to find Unicode function and how to get into it with Administrative function. There is a lot of gobbledygook about region and language - none of this is explained in plain language. It is also confusingly mixed in with discussion about non-Unicode language.

Because Microsoft has been tinkering around with UTF-8 enabling last year - which relates to Unicode - it is apparent that that is behind much of the recent spate of total or partial non-functionality of Alt codes. Unicode is essentially embedded in the OS. The fault is also not exclusively with Windows 10. Microsoft has to acknowledge that what it's doing is causing this problem, and work diligently on resolving it.

Unicode in Microsoft Windows - Wikipedia

Continue reading...