Windows 10 Machine Stuck on "Pick a Time To Restart"

Z

zac666

As the title says, when I walked into my office this morning and logged into my computer, it immediately popped up the window that asks you to Restart now or pick a time. However, it only gives me a little loading icon for my cursor. This is happening on 4-5 computers in my domain.

I cannot select any of the options in the pop-up window, I cannot ctrl-alt-del my way out of it, I cannot select anything on my desktop or start menu; my only option is to hold the power button on the device itself until the device shuts down. Turning the computer back on got me to a normal desktop, but if this were to happen to one of my users with unsaved work on their computer they would lose all of their work and that is completely unacceptable.

Our devices shouldn't even be downloading updates since our policy is managed by our IT Department. The last round of updates have been finished since the beginning of January, and there have not been any new updates approved on our network or released by our CIO, so this makes the unexpected updates and subsequent complete freezing of our computers even more concerning.

Does Microsoft generally just ignore a company's internal update policy and just push updates whenever they feel they should? If this is the case, how is that acceptable? Our company uses several pieces of software critical for daily operations that have been completely crippled by a Windows 10 update, which is why the updates get tested before pushed to production.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom