inserting external drive w/several large zip files results in 100% cpu usage for 10-20 minutes

B

bhin293

I'm backing up to an external drive (seagate expansion 500gb) using winzip on Windows 7. The drive has several backups on it, all around 60-70Gb in size. The backup procedures have been working just fine for several years.

Recently, the machine was upgraded to windows 10. Now, I notice that when I attach the drive, Windows almost immediately opens each zip file to retrieve the directory. Because there are several older backups on the drive, this causes the cpu usage to spike to 100% (the machine is a dual core 3Ghz) for 15 to 20 minutes, making the machine unusable during that time. I cannot stop it from doing this. Eventually it finishes whatever it is doing and cpu usage goes back to normal.

I've been able to reproduce the behavior on other machines with windows 10 pro and windows 10 home. The cpu usage and the time it takes for things to settle back down vary, depending on the number of cores and core speed. Task manager shows it is the windows explorer process that is using the cpu.

I don't believe it is a disk throughput issue because it is the cpu usage that goes to 100%. Disk I/O goes to zero and stays there for the majority of the high cpu usage time.

I had also tried renaming all the zip files to have a .txt file extension. When I re-inserted the drive, there was no increase in cpu usage. To me, this implicated the zip files.

The net affect is we can't use these backup scripts (or do anything else for that matter) without waiting 15 to 20 minutes for the computer to calm down.
Is there any way to turn off this behavior?

thanks.

Continue reading...