Windows 10: Software Only Works In Safe/Diagnostics Mode?

L

LunaMoonbell

Hello everyone,

Just to preface everything, this may initially start like I've got trouble with particular software but as the same thing has occurred with vastly different programs, I thought the issue is a Windows one and not software-specific. I have however sought help on forums for the specific software just in case but to no avail. So, here's the context:

Back in December I tried to run Origin (video game client), which I hadn't used in a couple of months but had been working just fine for years on my computer. But... nothing happened. No matter how I tried to open it, it wouldn't budge - my cursor would get the little blue circle rotating next to it as if it's loading, but as soon as it stops, that's it. No process or anything shows up in my task manager either. I tried some things to fix it (detailed below), but as it didn't work I thought I'd uninstall and install it again. Uninstalling went fine but when I tried to run the installer I found it does the exact same thing - cursor shows it's loading for a bit and then nothing. At the time I just gave up, I assumed it was specific to the software itself and soon enough they'd release an update I can download that would work fine...

This week, however, I tried to run a vastly different software - TVPaint Animation Pro 11 (animation software). Again, I have had this for years and had no problems with it. I last had to use it in October so it's been a while but it worked perfectly fine then. This also needs a dongle to be plugged into my computer for the license to work, which I had plugged in and seemed to be working fine. Again, the exact same thing happened - loading cursor, and then nothing. I tried uninstalling and installing again, at least this time I was able to actually install it back but it doesn't work. Tried to use that to repair the sentinel just in case that was the problem but it hasn't done anything Ias far as I can tell!

I've tried running both this, and Origin, in compatibility mode, and as administrator, still nothing.

So that's made me think it's not the software but my laptop. However, I can't pin down what it could be considering I have made absolutely no changes whatsoever to my system, so the only thing I can think of is Windows Update messing it up? I tried SFC and DISM and nothing seems to have changed. I've tried to disable my antivirus software and firewall to no avail. However, both work when I do a clean boot, run safe mode, or do a diagnostics startup, so I'm assuming it's a program or process that's conflicting with the software I want to use. I used the task manager to stop pretty much all startup programs, and CCleaner to get rid of some processes that seemed to match the programs I'd disabled... but the rest look important to the system so I don't dare touch them! My plan was to disable them one at a time until I finally pinpoint the right one but considering how important they all seem I don't think I want to risk it ahaha!

I very much need to get at least TVPaint to work, and also I'd like for this to stop happening to my programs so any suggestions are super appreciated!

If you need them, here's some specs: The laptop itself is a Dell Inspiron 7559! Windows 10, 64 bit, 16 GB RAM, my CPU is Intel i7-6700Hz. Let me know if you need any more details!

Thanks in advance!!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom