File History did not back up Emails to external disc

A

AlexHusick

I'm unable to recover my wife's emails since 2014.

The history as we recall it, she upgraded to a new Win8 laptop in 2014, prior to that was running XP on an older laptop. The store tech was able to move her Outlook Express files, addresses, contacts, etc. to the new machine.

Soon thereafter, we took up the offer to upgrade to 8.1 or directly to Win10, unsure of the order.

Along the way the apprearance of Outlook Changed to a more modern presentation and we assumed it was a standard practice for Windows 10 to do that. Don't know if she was running Mail, or Live Mail.

We purchased an external hard drive and I believe I set it up to backup all of her files, mail, docs, etc.

Years went by without checking on the status of the backups, was content to see the little light flashing during start up.

In January of this year, the hard drive failed, and we were relieved that we had an external backup drive.

So I busied myself replacing the hard drive with a solid state unit of the same capacity.

Using the Recovery disk provided by the store tech at the time of purchase we recovered the original Win8. I then was able to do the free upgreade to Win10 from Microsoft, so far so good.

Then re-attaching the external drive we saw various files and went back to File History to undertake the Data Restore process.

Well this is where we were befuddled, didn't see how it worked. Found WAB, Contact, Favorites, and the DBX files in a folder called Outlook Express. Found a recovery program that let me convert the DBX file to EML and they were to our relief now readable. Unfortunately the wife saw that there was no emails after 2014, only prior to that date.

Can anyone tell me what to do with the files on the back up disk, since we're hoping that what we want it hidden somewhere there.

My sneaking suspicion is that I didn't set up the File History backup properly but I recall it say the backup F:\ drive and I told it to back up her Identity name.

What steps might save my neck at this time?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom