Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ? (reboot)

B

benoitvm

Hi

I would like to revive these two threads:

None of these give a clear and simple explanation/solution to this simple problem with Win10:

How to allow display to turn off after some time WITHOUT the system entering any kind of sleep state ?

Currently, my system default power scheme has the following settings, when plugged in:

"turn off display = 20 minutes"

"put the computer to sleep = never"

"Turn on fast startup = disabled"

yet, when I leave the system alone for a while and come back, it wakes from a state that is not simply "screen turned off", and the Windows system log has the following entry:

'The system is entering connected standby
Reason: Idle Timeout.'​

(Event ID 506)​

This is not per se an issue, except that often then, active USB connected devices (generic USB hard disks, with native Windows drivers) no longer work properly, and the system has to be rebooted (shutdown takes forever, the system trying to shutdown drivers in some inconsistent state, and eventually causes a 0x0000009f bugcheck).

Needless to say, the system is up-to-date with the manufacturer (DELL) drivers & BIOS...This is Win10 1903.

Is the only workaround to disable Modern Standby and its 'benefits' altogether ?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom