No Internet, Secured

J

Jason_CPC

We are experiencing issues with Wi-Fi connections on Windows 10. Please read the issue behavior, configuration, and things we have tried before responding. If you need more information, please let me know.

Note - we believe that there is an issue with the authentication process, on the client side. I am curious what triggers the device to attempt a re-auth.

Configuration: Options not specified here are not selected

• Corporate Network, CISCO Access Points (ISE enabled)
  • Windows 10 1909
  • Devices in question are not part of a domain (AD)
  • Broadcom 802.11agbn Wireless SDIO adapter and Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 (2 different hardware devices)
  • SSID is non-broadcasting; settings:
    • Connect automatically when network is in range - checked
    • Connect even if the network is not broadcasting its name - checked
    • Security = WPA2-Enterprise
    • Encryption - AES
    • Authentication mode - Microsoft: Smart Card or other certificate
      • Use a certificate on this computer - selected
      • Use simple certificate selection - checked
    • Authentication Mode: USER AUTHENTICATION
  • Wi-Fi Properties
    • Client for Microsoft Networks
    • File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    • QoS Packet Scheduler
    • Reliable Multicast Protocol
    • IP v4
    • Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver
    • Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder
    • Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver

Behavior:

The device will connect to the wireless upon boot. When device is left idle (whether it goes to sleep or not) for some time, the device will "disconnect" from the network. When we remove the device from an idle state the connection status is "No Internet, Secured". In this state we have an IP address, gateway and DNS value but cannot access the network (internet). It is as if the device did not attempt to re-authenticate to the access point. Logging in and out of the device has no effect. Obviously, if we "disconnect" (via Wi-Fi menu) and reconnect, the status will change to "Connected, secured". When we check the access point logs the device appears in a connected and authenticated status (which is clearly, not the case). So, to be clear - we can manually rectify the problem, which treats the symptom. What we are looking for is a solution that prevents the problem (a true fix).

Attempted:

• Updating NIC drivers - no effect
  • Removed NIC from device manager and reinstalled - no effect
  • Making IPv4 priority over IPv6 -no effect
  • Disabled IPv6 - looked promising, but problem still experienced
  • Disabled power settings on NIC - no effect
  • Turned off all sleep settings - no effect
  • Tested device on an home wi-fi network - behavior not experienced
  • Walked with device in the "No Internet, Secured" status until I reached a point where it would grab another AP (with the same SSID) - status automatically changes to "Connected, Secured" (no intervention)
  • Pretty much every solution offered in the first 2 pages of a Google search

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom