Windows Defender Firewall won't start on Windows 10 version 1903

J

JimJersey

When trying to start using Services panel get "Windows could not start the Windows Defender Firewall service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

The Event Viewer has an entry in the System list that says "The Windows Defender Firewall service depends on the Windows Defender Firewall Authorization Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

Running the Windows Firewall Troubleshooter results in the following message "Windows Firewall cannot be set as the default firewall. This problem may be occurring because of an existing Group Policy or because you using the Norton Security Online firewall program. If you want to use the Windows Firewall,exit this troubleshooter, uninstall the other firewall program.and then run this troubleshooter again.".

Norton was installed on this computer but was removed using the Norton Remove tool (run several times). All other Antivirus programs have been removed from this computer (by a Norton technician that gave up after a while). I've run Microsoft Security Essentials (in Safe Mode) and it found no problems. Ran ESET Online Scanner (in Safe Mode) and it found no problems.

Ran the sfc /scannow command into an elevated command prompt. No issues found.

Ran "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" and it said no corruption."

The computer is runnning Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, OS build 18362.657

I'd be grateful for any ideas of what else I can try? Something in the registry perhaps? Thanks.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom