Update KB4532693 repeatedly fails, concurrent problem with Easy Anti Cheat and secur32.dll

S

Steven O'Malley

Hi I am experiencing a few problems, which all seem to have started at once.

I am not absolutely certain that they are related, though it is a coincidence if nothing else. I am using Win 10 Pro.

Firstly regarding the update problem:

• Update KB4532693 is repeatedly failing to install, giving error code 0x80073712 every attempt.
  • I have tried manually disabling Windows Update and BITS using Services, then deleting the update files from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, then re-initiating the update process so that a fresh download of the update is made. The failed update and error code repeated.

Secondly, the (possibly unrelated) issue regarding secur32.dll:

• The reason why I am citing this second issue in the same question as the first is because they began at the same time and so may somehow be related.
  • I have been playing the Steam version of Halo: Master Chief Collection. All of a sudden last week, the game would not load when I tried. The game returned an error in a box headed 'Easy Anti Cheat', stating 'untrusted system file: C:\Windows\System32\secur32.dll'
  • No other programs appear to be affected in this way, and I am able to use my system and all other progams without issue.
  • A full scan using my antivirus software (McAfee Total Protection), and also Windows Defender, returns a clean bill of health.

I would appreciate any advice on how to solve this/these issues.

Thanks

Steven

Continue reading...