Alt codes not working

N

Nomese

Hi. I had been using alt codes to make letters with diacritic marks for years, but they suddenly stopped working about a month ago (e.g. á - this one is copied and pasted from the Character map; the alt code is Alt+0225). Now they only work for single digits - if I type Alt+0225, I end up with the symbol for Alt+5. The NumLock is definitely on. I've tried it numerous times in various programs, but the alt codes do not work in anything - office, notepads, other writing programs (evernote, notion), chrome, edge, etc...). I now have to have the character map open to copy and paste the symbols I use, and it's driving me crazy.

I tried found a previous thread with the same problem, but the solutions did not work for me (1. make sure the toggle to "Turn on Mouse Keys to use the numeric keypad to move the mouse pointer" in the "Ease of Access - mouse settings" is set to OFF; 2. Make registry edit to insert the string "EnableHexNumpad" with a value of 1 in the current user's Control Panel\Input method folder - I did this for all users just to make sure). After making these changes I reset the computer.

My Win10 is version 1909 (OS build 18636.657) and the wireless keyboard driver (microsoft ergonomic) is up to date. The computer is a laptop but I mostly use the wireless keyboard - the alt codes do not work when using the number-pad on the laptop's keyboard (it has a separate number pad), nor with the wireless keyboard+number-pad - so it is unlikely to be a keyboard driver problem.

I have not changed anything recently, so I do not know why the alt codes suddenly stopped working.

Please - can someone advise me what setting to check? Or another solution?

Thank-you!

Continue reading...