Getting error 0x80070005 - 0x2000A "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with error during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT Operation" when trying to upgrad

M

Mark_G_2001

For the past 3 days, I have been trying to upgrade my Windows 10 Pro machine from version 1803 to 1909 with no success.

I have come across a number of forum posts suggesting the follow:

1) Disabling Anti-Virus/Defender

2) Disabling all startup services

3) Running the Windows update service manually from settings

4) Running the Windows troubleshooter

5) Running sfc /scannow

6) Running the DISM tool

7) Updating the updating the window using the command line (net stop wuauserv, net stop cryptSvc, net stop bits, net stop msiserver, Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old, Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old, etc.)

8) Deleting the $Windows.~BT folder

9) Removing/Renaming the Events_Normal.rbs files from the ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnostics folder

10) Installing using the Media Creation Tool

11) I have over 99GB of free space

12) I have disconnected all USB devices, except my wireless mouse (but one time I even tried that and still nothing)

I purchased this laptop several years ago and it originally came with Windows 7 Pro. I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro when it became available and the upgrade was free. While its an older laptop, it been running great for years and never had issues with updates in the past.

Windows Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1803

Installed on: 6/11/2018

OS Build: 17134.1304

I uninstalled some un-needed applications to see if that would help but nothing. Before I just starting ripping things out, as I know its possible there is some application/driver that could be the cause, I was hoping someone could help review some of the logs to give me an idea of where I should start. As mentioned above, I know A/V tools tend to be the first place, but I have disabled them all and still nothing.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom