Additional keyboard (input method) automatically added -- can't be removed!

Z

Zefir Zdravkov

I am running Windows 10 Pro (1909, OS build 18363.657).

I am primarily using 2 languages when I type on my computer, one of which English. Despite living in the UK, I don't like the English UK layout of the special characters (e.g. the @ and " are swapped) and I never use this input method. I am used to the US keyboard.

Now here is the problem!

Windows adds a 3rd keyboard to my list and that is "English UK"! And this keyboard does not appear in my "preferred languages" tab and I have no way to permanently remove it! I can delete this keyboard temporarily following these steps:

1. Go to "preferred languages"
  2. Scroll all the way and find "English UK"
  3. Add it
  4. Remove it

Great, but don't start feeling happy just yet, for you will feel much more dissatisfied when after some time you notice you're typing @ instead of " and find out that the British keyboard is invading your computer again.

I do suspect where the problem comes from!

When installing Windows, I set up my region, language etc. to "UK" and that is the way I'd like the UI to be. That is the only time I have mentioned the UK to my PC so I highly doubt it figured it out itself and decided I'd need that keyboard.

But then I assumed it might have used some GPS or IP-location data and see that I am in the UK. So I went ahead and disabled GPS info being sent to apps (it is somewhere in the settings). Nope, that did not work! Then I said, "sure, forget all about the UK then!" and changed all region, language etc. settings from "UK" to "US". That did also not work!

How does Windows decide to keep adding this keyboard?? Then I turned my VPN on, selected "US" and having all my region settings set to "US" I removed it again. I kept the VPN up until I again noticed the "£" symbol on my "#"!

How do I get rid of this keyboard?

And yes, it is super annoying to switch between 3 keyboards (2 of which 80% identical and hard to tell apart when typing!) when using Shift + Alt.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom